Friday, June 13, 2008

in the making

So, you probably have noticed that our Save the Date cards, invitations and RSVP cards were not your ordinary variety. We had a blast putting them together and finding them. However, since they were so individualized, we found that there was little time or room to explain what was so special about them. 

The Save the Date cards were hand painted by myself and my mother, Laura on the porch of the Cadillac Shack, on Hopson's plantation in Clarksdale, MI. (Check out their site!) The same shack where David and I spent three life-centering days the winter before. 

The invitation process began with David and I painting with oil on two separate pieces of heavy art paper each about the size of a poster-board. We painted in the  company of each other, but each on our own piece. An amazing fact about the two of us as artists is that we were both - prior to having met each other - drawn to painting fields. Not "landscapes", but fields. Our eyes are drawn to the exaggerated lines of harvested cornfields, the contrasts and the contours of open spaces.

We were speechless when we discovered this about each other. It was astonishing in ways that I don't think anyone else will ever fully understand, but to us- it was a sign.

When it came time to paint our invitations, we knew exactly what it had to be. Fields. And it was also the first time we had painted together. 

On each invitation is a piece of David's field and a piece of my field, cut simultaneously from the originals while they were stacked together. This is our way of sharing with the people who are closest to us, a very intimate and meaningful part of ourselves as we invite you to celebrate and witness our marriage.

And of course, the RSVP cards also have their own story. I couldn't possibly begin to tell all of them, but I will say that David and I bought many of them at antique and secondhand stores on our trip out West last year and at various other points since our engagement. The rest were purchased by my mom and I on our trip to MI this spring. We retraced the path that David and I travelled the previous year and returned to the very large antique store (Boho's) in Memphis, TN to purchase more postcards from their collections. 

No comments: